Paella Portuguese Style
|Broiler fryer||4 Pound, each cut into 8 pieces (2 Fryers, 2 Pound Each)|
|Olive oil/Salad oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lean pork||1 Pound, cut into 1-inch cubes|
|Onion||2 Cup (32 tbs), chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), crushed|
|Dried oregano leaves||1 Teaspoon|
|Long grain white rice||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Italian sausage||1 Pound, cut in half crosswise|
|Fresh tomatoes||2 Medium, peeled and chopped|
|Condensed chicken broth||32 1⁄4 Ounce (3 Cans, 10 3/4 Ounce Each, Undiluted)|
|Large shrimp||1 1⁄2 Pound, shelled and deveined|
|Frozen peas||10 Ounce, thawed (1 Package)|
|Sliced pimentos||2 Ounce (1/2 Of 4 Ounce Jar)|
|Lemons||2 , each cut into 8 wedges|
1. Wash chicken with cold running water and pat dry with paper towels.
2. About 45 minutes before serving, preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. In a large skillet (10-inch), heat oil and brown 5 chicken pieces at a time until golden-brown from all sides.
4. Remove chicken from the skillet as they brown and add rest of the chicken in batches; add more oil if required.
5. In the same skillet, brown pork cubes until well browned from all sides; remove and keep aside.
6. In the same skillet, containing drippings, sautÃ© onion, garlic, pepper and oregano with frequent stirring until onion for about 5 minutes until golden brown.
7. Add salt, rice and saffron; stir and cook for about 10 minutes until rice is lightly browned.
8. In the mean time, in another skillet, sautÃ© sausage for about 10 minutes until well browned from all sides; drain and discard fat.
9. Add tomatoes, bay leaf and chicken broth to rice mixture; bring the mixture to boiling.
10. In a large roasting pan about 17x11 inches, place chicken, sausage and pork; spread the rice mixture evenly over the top.
11. Cover the pan with foil, press on the sides to seal and bake for 1/2 hour.
12. Let it cool and then refrigerate.
13. About 2 hours before serving, remove pan from refrigerator; let it stand covered until it comes down to room temperature.
14. Uncover and top with shrimps.
15. Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
16. After 30 minutes, if the mixture looks dry, add 1/2 cup water.
17. Sprinkle peas over top; cover and bake for another 20 minutes until chicken and pork are tender and peas are cooked.
18. In a heated round serving platter or paella pan, spoon paella.
19. Garnish with pimiento slices and lemon wedges.
For a more flavourful paella, brown the meat and put the dish together in the roasting pan well in advance.