Swiss Biberli Cookies
|Honey||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Grated lemon peel||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Brandy/Rum /kirsch||2 Tablespoon|
|All-purpose flour||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Baking soda||2 Teaspoon|
|Ground anise seed||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground ginger||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground coriander seed||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Almonds||3 Cup (48 tbs), blanched|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Apricot jam||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Honey||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Lemon peel||1 Tablespoon, grated|
|Lemon juice||3 Tablespoon|
|Almond extract||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Make the dough in a small saucepan by combining the 1 cup honey, 2/3 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons water. Place the pan on the heat and heat gently till the sugar just dissolves but the pan does not begin to melt
2. Let this mixture cool till lukewarm and this will take 20 minutes.
3. Add the 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon peel and the brandy to the pan and mix again.
4. Into another large bowl, tip in the flour and the baking soda.
5. Add the anise, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and coriander and mix well
6. Add honey mixture and then mix with wooden spoon to a stiff dough. Shape the dough into a ball and place in a refrigerator for 2 days to chill completely.
7. Preheat oven to 350F on the day of serving.
8. Lightly grease cookie sheets.
9. Make the filling on the day of serving by pouring the almonds into an electric blender. Process the almonds and then add the 1 cup sugar, the jam, 1/3 cup honey, 1 tablespoon lemon peel, juice, almond extract; mix until well blended. Set aside.
10. Remove the chilled dough from the refrigerator and then divide it into half. Roll out half the dough so that it forms 16-by-10-inch rectangle
11. Cut the dough crosswise into quarters to make 4 strips.
12. Place 5-6 tablespoons of the prepared sweet almond filling in a 1-inch roll in the center of the dough strip
13. Roll the edges of the dough over filling so that they overlap and then press down gently to seal. Repeat this process with the remaining dough and filling.
14. Cut the rolls into 1-inch pieces and place them on baking sheets and bake them for 20 minutes until they are golden brown in color
15. Glaze the rolls by brushing the rolls with a boiled mixture of sugar, ½ cup of water. Ensure that the water sugar mixture is boiled for at least 5-7 minutes
16. Set the cookies aside on a wire rack to cool
17. Pack in an airtight box till required