Supper Polish Style
|For the dessert:|
|Cherry pie filling||1 Can (10 oz)|
|Almond extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Packaged biscuit mix||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Milk||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Vanilla ice cream||1 Pint|
|For the salad:|
|Oil and vinegar salad dressing||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Prepared)|
|Fresh dill/Fresh parsley||1 Tablespoon, snipped|
|Lettuce||1 , washed and crisped|
|Sauerkraut||2 Can (20 oz)|
|Apple juice/Apple cider||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Caraway seeds||2 Teaspoon|
|For the mashed potatoes:|
|Instant mashed potato||3 Cup (48 tbs) (6 Servings)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Instant minced onion||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Black bread loaf||1|
1) Preheat the oven to 400F.
2) In a 1-quart shallow baking dish, add in a mixture of the cherry-pie filling and almond extract. Add a tablespoon of butter on top.
3) In a small bowl, mix the biscuit mix, 1 tablespoon sugar and milk. Stir well with a fork. Add over the cherry-pie filling along the edge of the dish in teaspoonfuls at a distance of 1-inch. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar over the biscuit-mix border. Bake for about 25 minutes till the biscuit is baked through and turns a golden brown.
4) Thinly slice the cucumbers and onions. Add into a bowl along with 1/4 cup of salad dressing and snipped dill or parsley. Toss and transfer into a salad bowl lined with lettuce leaves. Keep refrigerated.
5) Drain the sauerkraut. Rinse under cold water and drain again.
6) In a 4-quart Dutch oven, add in the sauerkraut, apple juice and caraway seed. Cover and let sauerkrauts come to a boil.
7) Wash the kielbasa and dry on paper towels. Prick with a fork all over it. Place the kielbasa over the sauerkraut. Turn down the heat and cook on simmer for 20 minutes.
8) Prepare the instant mashed potatoes as per its packet instructions using water, milk, butter and salt. Add in the the instant minced onion.
9) Serve the chilled cucumber and onion salad with extra dressing on the side.
10) Serve the sauerkraut and kielbasa in a heated serving dish. Place the mashed potatoes on the side.
11) Serve the Cherry Pie Cobbler warm, along with vanilla ice cream.
Calories 1269 Calories from Fat 492
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 58 g89.1%
Saturated Fat 22.3 g111.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 155.4 mg51.8%
Sodium 3152.2 mg131.3%
Total Carbohydrates 161 g53.8%
Dietary Fiber 13.6 g54.5%
Sugars 53.3 g
Protein 33 g65.9%
Vitamin A 153.8% Vitamin C 112.5%
Calcium 88.6% Iron 94.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet