Swedish Cardamom Cake
|All-purpose flour||4 1⁄2 Cup (72 tbs)|
|Fast rising yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (2 Packages)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ground cardamom||2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground ginger||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), softened (1 Stick)|
|Candied orange peel||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
1. Preheat the oven to 375F
2. Grease well two shallow, 1-quart, decorative tube pans
3. Place almonds in the bottom of the pans and around the side too if required. Set aside till required
4. In a small pan, heat the water, milk and butter till the pan reaches a temperature of 120-130F. There is no need for the butter to melt.
5. Add the flour mixture to the eggs and beat this at low speed till the ingredients are well mixed.
6. Beat until the ingredients are just moistened at low speed and this will take 3 minutes. Occasionally, wipe down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula to ensure that the flour is stirred into the bowl to make a soft batter.
7. Add the orange peel to the bowl and mix well again.
8. Pour this batter into the prepared pan and then cover with a towel and let it rise in a warm place for 40-50 minutes at 85F.
9. When the cakes are doubled in size, bake them for 20-25 minutes in a hot oven
10. Remove from pan and cool completely. Wrap them in foil paper, label and seal for freezing.
11. Remove from freezer, let stand wrapped at room temperature for 1-1/2 hours. Unwrap and slice in wedges to serve.