|All purpose flour||4 Cup (64 tbs), sifted|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Granulated sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Lemon peel||2 Teaspoon, grated|
|Anise seed||2 Tablespoon|
|Confectioners' sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Flour||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (For Dusting And Rolling)|
|Butter||1 Tablespoon (For Greasing)|
1. In a medium sized bowl, combine flour, salt and baking powder and mix well.
2. Pass through sieve twice and keep aside.
3. In a large bowl, place eggs and using an electric beater, beat eggs for 5 minutes or till thick and they turn into a lemon colour.
4. Gradually add sugar, little by little (around 2 tablespoons) and beat at medium speed. The mixture will gradually becomes smooth and thick.
5. Using rubber spatula, clean the sides of the bowl.
6. Add lemon peel and flour mixture and mix well using a wooden spoon.
7. Clean sides of bowl again, clingwrap and refrigerate Springerle dough overnight.
8. Grease two large baking trays and sprinkle 1 tablespoon anise seed on each grease tray.
9. Refrigerate the rolling pin to be used for Springerle dough to make designs.
10. Remove dough from refrigerator and discard clingwrap.
11. Divide this dough into 3 equal parts. Keeping one portion outside, place other 2 in the fridge again till required.
12. Sprinkle confectioners sugar on a wooden board and place one portion dough on it.
13. Roll the rough over sugar so it coats evenly.
14. Roll out into a 8 x 5 ½ inch rectangle.
15. Repeat same procedure with remaining 2 portions of dough.
16. Coat refrigerated Springerle pin lightly with confectioners-€™ sugar.
17. Starting lengthwise, place rolling pin and roll evenly and firmly over dough to prepare designs. In case dough sticks to the rolling pin, remove using rubber spatula.
18. Using a sharp knife which has been dusted with flour carefully cut straight lines on designed dough to make individual cookies.
19. Using a wide mouth spatula, place cookies on greased baking trays. Ensure you keep ½ inch distance between each.
20. Allow to rest overnight at room temperature.
21. Preheat oven at 162.5C (325F) and bake the rested cookies for 15 minutes or till they turn amber golden brown in colour.
22. Serve on a cookie platter. It is best served 2 to 3 weeks post baking.
Store in an air tight container in a cool and dry place away from humidity.