Freezer Danish Pastry
|Sweet butter||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), softened (3 Sticks)|
|All-purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Very Warm At 105 To 115 F)|
|Active yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (2 Packs)|
|All-purpose flour||3 3⁄4 Cup (60 tbs)|
1. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and 1/4 cup flour using a wooden spoon until smooth.
2. On a wet surface, place wax paper and spread the mixture to 12x8 inch rectangle.
3. Shift the wax paper on a cookie sheet and refrigerate.
4. In a saucepan, heat milk slightly.
5. Add sugar and salt and stir until dissolved.
6. Let the milk cool down until lukewarm.
7. In another saucepan, heat water until the desired temperature is reached.
8. In a large bowl, pour the warm water and sprinkle with yeast; stir until dissolved.
9. Stir in the lukewarm milk mixture, egg and 3 cups flour.
10. Using a wooden spoon beat the mixture until smooth.
11. Add rest of flour and mix with hand until the dough leaves side of bowl.
12. Cover the dough and refrigerate for 1/2 hour.
13. Lightly flour a pastry cloth.
14. Turn out the refrigerated dough on the prepared pastry cloth.
15. Using a covered rolling pin, roll the dough into a 16x12 inch rectangle.
16. Place the chilled butter mixture on half of rectangle dough; discard the wax paper.
17. Fold other half of dough over butter and pinch the edges to seal.
18. Keep the fold on to your right and roll again to form a 16x8 inch rectangle.
19. From the narrow side or short side, fold the rolled dough into thirds to form three layers.
20. Warp the folded dough with foil and chill for 1 hour.
21. After 1 hour, roll and fold again, seal edges and chill for 30 minutes.
22. Repeat the rolling, folding and sealing process.
23. Wrap in foil and refrigerate for 3 to 12 hours.
24. Cut the cold pastry into 3 equal parts.
25. Wrap each portion individually in a foil, seal and label before freezing.
26. Use 1/3 for making Cherry Pinwheels and 1/3 for Cinnamon Bear Claws or store at 0° F for several months