Poached Cod Portuguese Style
|Frozen cod||12 Ounce (2 packets)|
|Dry white wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Onion||1 Large, sliced|
|Green peppers||2 Small, halved, seeded, cut into strips|
|Tomatoes||2 , cut in wedges|
|Ripe olives||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), pitted|
|Parsley||1 Tablespoon, chopped|
1) Slice each piece of fish into 3 pieces with a serrated knife.
2) In a large skillet, add fish, wine, water, lemon slices, salt and pepper.
Let it come to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer covered for 20 minutes.
3) Turn the fish over a few times till it starts to flake. Remove the fish onto a plate and keep warm till later.
4) Discard the lemon slices from the sauce.
5) Boil the sauce uncovered for 10 minutes, till it is reduced to 1/2 cup. Add in butter or margarine and move the pan around till the butter has melted and the sauce has thickened.
6) Pour the sauce over the cod fish.
7) In another skillet, heat oil. Add in onions and garlic and saute for 5 minutes. Add in the peppers and saute for 10 more minutes.
8) When the vegetables turn tender, add in the tomatoes and olives. Cook for 2 more minutes.
9) Add the sauted vegetables to the side of the plate with the cod fish and sauce.
10) Sprinkle chopped parsley on top.
11) Serve crusty French or Italian Bread on the side.