|Onions||3 Medium, chopped|
|Bacon fat/Pork fat||2 Tablespoon|
|Tart apples||2 Medium, peeled, cored and chopped|
|Juniper berries/Gin||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|White wine||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Cooked ham slices||6 , cut into 1/4 inch thick|
|Smoked pork chops/Slices||6|
|Oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For Frying)|
1) Soak sauerkraut in cold water for 15 minutes.
2) Squeeze to dry between hands.
3) In the saucepan, heat fat and sautÃ© onions, until tender.
4) Add sauerkraut and toss with a fork, cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5) Add apples, peppercorns, juniper berries and white wine.
6) Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
7) In a deep skillet, heat oil and fry sausages.
8) Drain and put sausages on absorbent paper.
9) Add with meats to sauerkraut.
10) Cover and cook for 30 minutes longer.
11) Discard peppercorns and juniper berries, if used.
12) To serve, spoon out meats onto plate.
13) Pile sauerkraut in center of large warm platter.
14) Arrange meats and sausages over the top.
This can be prepared beforehand and reheated.
Serve with boiled potatoes and mustard.