Orange Meringue Pie
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Cornstarch||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Orange juice||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Egg yolks||2 , slightly beaten|
|Grated orange peel||1 Teaspoon|
|Baked pastry shell||1 , cooled (8 Inch Long)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 400 degrees.
2) Combine together ¾ cup of sugar, cornstarch and ¼ teaspoon salt in a saucepan.
3) Stir in the orange juice gradually.
4) Cook and stir the mixture over high heat till it is thick and bubbly.
5) Reduce the heat and gently cook the mixture for 1 more minute.
6) Take the pan off the heat.
7) Into the egg yolks, stir a small amount of the hot mixture. Return the mixture to the hot mixture.
8) Cook the mixture for another 2 minutes, stirring over moderate heat.
9) Add the butter and orange peel.
10) Pour the mixture into the pastry shell.
11) Beat the egg whites till soft peaks are formed.
12) Beat in the ¼ cup of sugar gradually, till stiff peaks are formed.
13) Over the hot filling, spread the meringue. Seal the edge of the crust.
14) Bake in preheated oven till the crust of the pie is golden brown (7 to 9 minutes of baking).
15) Cool the pie on the rack for a few minutes and serve slightly warm as a dessert.