|Lean pork||1⁄2 Pound, smoked|
|Soup meat||2 Pound|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Use As Required)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|Soup greens||1 Bunch (100 gm)|
|Shredded cabbage||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Onions||2 Large, chopped|
|Potatoes||3 Large, peeled and halved|
|Tomatoes||6 , peeled, seeded, and chopped|
|Cooked navy beans||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Frankfurters||5 , sliced|
|All purpose flour||1 Tablespoon|
|Dairy sour cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Use As Required)|
1) In a deep kettle, combine the soup meat and pork along with 2 1/2 quarts of water.
2) Bring the mix to a boil and then cook for 15 minutes.
3) Skim and add bay leaf, peppercorns, garlic and soup greens. (Preferably carrot, celery, leek, some parsley and a parsley root.)
4) Cover the dish and simmer for 2 hours.
5) Now, cook 7 of the beets, unpeeled, in the soup. You can also cook the beets separately.
6) Carefully peel the remaining beet and grate.
7) To this, add 3 tablespoons of water. Keep aside this for coloring, for adding at the last moment.
8) Now, peel and dice the cooked beets.
9) To the soup, add the beets along with the cabbage, onions and potatoes.
10) From the dish, discard the soup greens. Or, you can cut them up and return to kettle.
11) Now, add the tomatoes, navy beans, vinegar and sugar. Mix gently.
12) Cook this mixture for 1 hour more.
13) Then, heat butter in a pan and brown butter.
14) To the soup, add this to thicken and then bring to a boil.
15) Now, add the beet juice drained from raw beet for adding a dash of color.
16) You can add the frankfurters 20 minutes before serving. Skim off the excess fat and cut the meat into serving pieces.
17) Serve the soup very hot in large soup plates, with side plates for meat. You can serve a bowl of dairy sour cream along with the soup.