Welsh Salt Duck
|Prepared duck||5 Pound (1 In Number, 2.2 Kilogram)|
|Fine rock salt||4 Ounce (100 Gram, Not Coarse)|
|Light muscovado sugar||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Salt petre||1⁄2 Ounce (Nitrate Of Potash, 15 Gram)|
1) Trim off all excess fat from the duck and discard its tail, leaving it whole.
2) Now combine the salt, sugar and saltpetre and rub the duck all over with this mixture, both inside the cavity and as well as all over the skin.
3) Allow to remain in a cool place for 2 days or more, frequently rubbing the duck with the mixture from time to time.
4) Boil in masses of water the 2 bay leaves and sufficient onion and lemon to give the water a good strong flavour.
5) Boil the duck until soft but do not over-boil.
6) Serve hot.