Welsh Salt Duck
|Prepared duck||5 Pound (1 In Number, 2.2 Kilogram)|
|Fine rock salt||4 Ounce (100 Gram, Not Coarse)|
|Light muscovado sugar||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Salt petre||1⁄2 Ounce (Nitrate Of Potash, 15 Gram)|
1) Trim off all excess fat from the duck and discard its tail, leaving it whole.
2) Now combine the salt, sugar and saltpetre and rub the duck all over with this mixture, both inside the cavity and as well as all over the skin.
3) Allow to remain in a cool place for 2 days or more, frequently rubbing the duck with the mixture from time to time.
4) Boil in masses of water the 2 bay leaves and sufficient onion and lemon to give the water a good strong flavour.
5) Boil the duck until soft but do not over-boil.
6) Serve hot.
Calories 845 Calories from Fat 519
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 58 g88.5%
Saturated Fat 19.1 g95.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 302.4 mg100.8%
Sodium 6019.5 mg250.8%
Total Carbohydrates 13 g4.3%
Dietary Fiber 0.93 g3.7%
Sugars 10.4 g
Protein 66 g132.5%
Vitamin A 7.1% Vitamin C 48.2%
Calcium 3.3% Iron 88.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet