Poppy Seed Rolls
|Strong plain flour||1 Pound (450 G)|
|Salt||2 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Butter||1 Ounce (25 G)|
|Fresh yeast/2 level teaspoons dried yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (15 G)|
|Milk and water||1⁄2 Pint (3 Dl, Warm)|
|Castor sugar||1 Teaspoon|
|Poppy seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1) Preheat oven hot to 425°F, 220°C or Gas No. 7.
2) In a mixing basin sieve flour and salt.
3) Cut in butter and rub with the mixture.
4) Make a well at the centre.
5) Stir in fresh yeast with warm mixed milk and water.
6) To dissolve dried yeast dissolve a teaspoon of sugar in lukewarm water and sprinkle yeast over it.
7) Let stand in warm place for about 10 minutes until frothy.
8) Add yeast mixture into the centre of dry ingredients and mix to a dough.
9) Place on a clean, working surface and knead for about 10 minutes until smooth.
10) Make into ball and put in the basin.
11) Keep in a polythene bag and set aside in a warm place until the dough doubles.
12) Place on a floured working surface. Knead well.
13) Divide into twelve equal pieces.
14) Shape each piece into a round and let stand for 10 minutes.
15) Roll with hands into ropes about 8 inches (20 cm) in length.
16) Tie loosely in a knot.
17) Grease a baking tray and put the dough in it.
18) Baste with lightly-beaten egg.
19) Cover and let rise for 15 -20 minutes.
20) Sprinkle poppy seeds.
21) Place in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes.
22) Serve warm.
23) If rolls are made the previous day, sprinkle water over them, wrap in foil and reheat for about 10 minutes in a hot oven before serving.
Calories 172 Calories from Fat 26
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3 g4.6%
Saturated Fat 1.5 g7.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 23.1 mg7.7%
Sodium 210.7 mg8.8%
Total Carbohydrates 32 g10.7%
Dietary Fiber 1 g4.2%
Sugars 1.5 g
Protein 4 g7.2%
Vitamin A 1.6% Vitamin C 0.34%
Calcium 3.4% Iron 1.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet