Champignons Sous Cloche
|Crusty bread slices||8 (Cut From The Wide Part Of A Loaf Of French Or Italian Bread)|
|Unsalted butter||6 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Dried chervil||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|White pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Heavy cream||8 Tablespoon|
|Dry sherry||8 Teaspoon|
|Parsley sprigs||6 (For Garnish)|
1. Toast the bread.
2. In a bowl, whip the butter for a few minutes until it is fluffy. Beat in the lemon juice, chervil, salt, and pepper. Spread the bread generously with this mixture.
3. Put the slices in eight individual baking dishes or in an oblong shallow earthenware or pyrex dish.
4. Cut the stems from the mushrooms flush with the caps. Butter the tops of the caps with the seasoned butter. Arrange the caps, round side up, to form a mound on each piece of toast. Cool, cover, and refrigerate.
5. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
6. Spoon a little heavy cream over each mound of mushrooms. Cover the dish or dishes with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
7. Before serving, remove the foil and pour a teaspoonful of sherry over each mound of mushrooms. Garnish with parsley and serve at once.