Lemon Meringue Pie
|Cornstarch||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Egg yolks||4 , slightly beaten|
|Lemon juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lemon peel||1 Tablespoon, grated|
|Baked pie shell||9 Inch|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
To Make Lemon Filling:
2. In a medium saucepan, combine cornstarch, flour, sugar and salt mixing well.
3. Gradually add 2 cups water, stirring until smooth.
4. Over medium heat, bring to boiling, stirring occasionally and boil for 1 minute.
5. Remove from heat and quickly stir some of hot mixture into egg yolks.
6. Return to hot mixture and stir to blend.
7. Return to heat and cook over low heat for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
8. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice, lemon peel and butter.
9. Pour into pie shell.
To Make Meringue:
10. In medium bowl with mixer at medium speed beat egg whites with cream of tartar until frothy.
11. Gradually beat in sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating after each addition.
12. Beat at high speed until stiff peaks form when beater is slowly raised.
13. Spread over lemon filling, carefully sealing to edge of the crust and swirling top decoratively.
14. Bake in the preheated oven for about 7 to 9 minutes until the meringue is golden-brown.
15. Let the pie cool completely on wire rack —2-1/2 to 3 hours.
16. Serve the pie with garnish as desired.