Traditional Sausage And Mash
|Olive oil||1 Teaspoon|
|English sausages||5 Medium (preferably the fresh variety)|
|Sage leaves||1 Bunch (100 gm), chopped (fresh and unwilted)|
|Italian flat leaf parsley||1 Bunch (100 gm), chopped finely (fresh)|
|Beer||2 Cup (32 tbs) (at room temprature)|
|Vegetable stock||1 Pint (homemade or made with store brought vegetable/chicken stock cubes)|
|Plain flour||1 Pinch, sifted (as required)|
|Russet potatoes||3 Large, cut into large chunks (scrubbed clean)|
|Butter||100 Gram (as required, at room temprature)|
|Sea salt||1 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Black pepper||1 Teaspoon, freshly ground (to taste)|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), pasteurized (as required)|
1. Heat the oven to 375 F.
2. In a deep bottomed vessel, boil water with salt and add the potatoes.
3. Poke a fork through the potatoes, to test if they are done and refresh them in cold water.
4. Peel the skins off, if desired.
5. Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes and keep them aside.
6. Using paper towels, pat the sausages dry, else their casings might split while frying.
7. In a non stick frying pan , fry the sausages in olive oil on medium heat. Brown the sausages on both the sides.
8. Using a slotted spoon, remove the sausages and reserve the oil in the pan , for making the gravy
9. Place the fried sausages on paper towels, to soak the extra oil.
10. In the same frying pan, caramelize the sliced onions, on medium low heat, for 15 minutes. Take care not to burn them even a bit.
11. Sprinkle a generous pinch of flour, over the onions and fry the mixture lightly, till it loses its graininess.
12. Mix in the vegetable stock, followed by the beer. Stir continuously, to prevent any lumps from forming.
13. Bring the mixture to a boil and allow it to reduce for 5 minutes. The consistency of the gravy should neither be too thick or runny.
14. When the desired consistency is achieved, take the gravy off the heat. Sprinkle the chopped sage and the flat Italian parsley over it.
15. In a Pyrex baking dish, place the fried sausage and pour the gravy over them.
16. Place the dish into the oven for 15-20 minutes, at 375 F.
17. To prepare the mashed potatoes, take a bowl to combine the mashed potatoes with molten butter, a little milk,salt and pepper to taste. Mix thoroughly to make it nice and fluffy.
In a dinner plate, spoon the mashed potatoes and place the fried sausages over them. With a ladle, pour the caramelized onion sauce over the sausages and mashed potatoes. Serve warm along with fresh green salad.