Strawberry Cheese Danish
|Cake flour||10 Tablespoon (Enriched, 1/2 Cup Plus 2 Tablespoons)|
|Granulated sugar||4 Teaspoon, divided (1 Tablespoon Plus 1 Teaspoon)|
|Double-acting baking powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Reduced-calorie margarine||8 Teaspoon (2 Tablespoons Plus 2 Teaspoons)|
|Evaporated skimmed milk||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Part skim ricotta cheese||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Reduced calorie strawberry spread||4 Teaspoon (1 Tablespoon Plus 1 Teaspoon, 16 Calories Per 2 Teaspoons)|
1. In a large bowl, crack the egg and separate the yolk and the white
2. Preheat oven to 425°F
3. Prepare a cookie sheet by spraying it with nonstick cooking spray
4. In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, the baking powder, and salt. Mix well till combined. Use a pastry blender or two pastry knives to get an even mix of all the ingredients. The mixture should resemble breadcrumbs
5. In another bowl, tip in the 1 whole egg, milk, and reserved yolk and combine well
6. Add this mixture to the flour mixture and blend till a thin batter is formed
7. Spoon the batter onto prepared sheet, forming 8 mounds. Leave a space of about 2 inches between each mound to allow for spreading.
8. In another bowl, beat the reserved egg white till stiff.
9. In another bowl, mix the rest of the cheese with one teaspoon sugar and then add the beaten egg whites.
10. Spoon equal amounts of the egg white mixture on top of the 8 Danish mounds
11. Bake for 10-12 minutes or till puffed
12. Remove the baked Danish from the oven and immediately top it with 1/2 teaspoon thinned strawberry spread.
13. Serve hot immediately