1) Preheat oven to temperature of 200 degrees.
2) Use aluminium foil to line 2 baking dished. Set aside.
3) Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar in a small bowl with the help of an electric mixer set at HIGH, till soft peaks form.
4) Add the sugar very gradually, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating well after every addition so that the sugar is dissolved well.
5) Add the vanilla and cocoa powder and continue to beat till the mixture is stiff and glossy peaks have formed.
6) Onto the prepared baking sheets, spoon the meringue by tablespoonfuls, forming the chocolate into kiss shapes.
7) Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or till the meringue has set.
8) Allow to cook on cookie sheets for about 10 minutes.
9) Loosen the cookies carefully and then use a spatula to gently remove them.
10) Place on wire racks and cook completely.
11) Serve warm or at room temperature as a snack. The cookies make a good accompaniment to tea and coffee.