Nectarine and Almond Meringue Gratin
|Sliced nectarines||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Orange juice/Rum||1 Tablespoon|
|Whipping cream||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Almond extract||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground almonds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Grated orange rind||1 Teaspoon|
1) Preheat oven to 425°F.
2) Place the slices of nectarine in a 9 X 9" inch baking dish.
3) Sprinkle rum or orange juice over the nectarine and allow it to rest at room temperature for some time.
4) In a large bowl, add egg yolk, cream, almond extract, almonds and 2 tablespoons of sugar.
5) In another bowl, beat the egg whites to form stiff peaks. Add in the rest of the sugar and continue beating the whites.
6) Fold the egg whites mixture gently into the contents of the large bowl. Add in the orange rind.
7) Spread the mixture over the soaked nectarines.
8) Bake for about 15 minutes or until the egg and almond layer turns golden brown and swells up slightly.
9) The Nectarine and Almond Meringue Gratin can be served hot from the oven, warm or at room temperature.