|Egg whites||3 1⁄2 (1/2 Cup)|
|Cream of tartar||1 Pinch|
|Granulated sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Almond extract||1 Tablespoon|
|Heavy cream/1 quart ice cream||1 Pint|
1. Preheat the oven to 225Â°F.
2. Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until they foam. Add the salt and the cream of tartar. Beat a little faster until the whites hold shape. Continue to beat and add the sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, beating after each addition. Add the almond extract when half the sugar has been used. Continue beating and adding sugar until all the sugar is used. Increase the speed again and beat for about 8 minutes, or until very stiff and the sugar is dissolved.
3. Spoon the meringue (or use a pastry bag fitted with a plain or fluted nozzle) onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Bake for 1 hour.
4. Turn off the oven and open the oven door. Allow the meringues to dry out in the oven for 1 hour.
5. To serve, fill with flavored whipped cream or ice cream. Makes about 20 large meringues.