Baked Ziti Casserole
|Dried oregano||1 Teaspoon|
|Dried basil leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ziti macaroni||1 Pound|
|Ricotta cheese||30 Ounce|
|Mozzarella cheese||8 Ounce|
|Grated parmesan||3 Tablespoon|
|Olive oil/Salad oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|Canned italian tomatoes||35 Ounce|
|Tomato paste||6 Ounce|
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Cook ziti as package label directs.
3. In hot oil in 6-quart kettle prepare the sauce by sautéing onion and garlic until golden-brown. This will take about 10 minutes.
4. Add undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, 1-1/2 cups water, 2 tablespoons parsley, 1 table- spoon salt, the sugar, oregano, basil, and 1/4 tea- spoon pepper; mix well, mashing tomatoes with fork. Bring to boiling; reduce heat; simmer, covered and stirring occasionally, 1 hour.
5. Prepare the cheese layer in a large bowl by mixing the ricotta, mozzarella, 1/3 cup Parmesan, the eggs, parsley, salt, and pepper. Beat with wooden spoon until blended.
6. Spoon a little sauce into a 5-quart casserole.
7. Layer a third of ziti, cheese mixture, and remaining sauce. Sprinkle sauce with 1 tablespoon Parmesan. Repeat twice till all of the sauce and cheese is used up. Bake, uncovered, 45 minutes, or until bubbling in center.
8. Serve hot.