Creamed Spinach Ring
|Fresh spinach/20 ounce frozen chopped spinach||2 Pound|
|Parmesan cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Light cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Fresh bread crumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Swiss cheese/Gruyere cheese||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
1) Wash spinach.
2) If using fresh, remove and discard large stems.
3) Preheat oven to 350F.
4) Grease a 4-1/2-cup ring mold well, and dust with grated Parmesan cheese.
5) In a large kettle, place the spinach with just the water clinging to leaves.
6) Cover the kettle and cook tossing with a fork once or twice for 5 minutes, or until spinach is just tender.
7) Drain very well.
8) Chop the cooked spinach coarsely.
9) If using frozen spinach, cook as package label directs; drain very well.
10) In a large saucepan, heat the butter or margarine, saute onion until tender—about 5 minutes.
11) Add spinach, cream, salt, sugar, pepper, and nutmeg; heat just to boiling.
12) Remove the pan from heat.
13) In large bowl, beat eggs slightly.
14) Add bread crumbs and Swiss cheese.
15) Gradually add spinach mixture.
16) In the prepared mold, transfer the mixture.
17) Set mold in baking pan on oven rack; pour boiling water into pan to depth of 1-1/2 inches.
18) Cover the top of mold with wax paper.
19) Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until knife inserted in center of spinach mixture comes out clean.
20) Using a small spatula, loosen mold around edge.
21) On a heated serving plate, invert the baked spinach ring.
22) Fill center of ring with glazed carrots, if liked.