|Cream of tartar||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Light rum||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Fresh strawberries/Frozen whole strawberries||10|
|Canned pineapple slices||10|
1. Preheat oven to 450F.
2. Lightly butter the bottom of the 9-inch tube pan.
3. One day before serving, in a large bowl of electric mixer, let egg whites warm to room temperature, 1 hour. To egg whites, add salt and cream of tartar; beat until frothy.
4. At high speed, beat in sugar, 2 table- spoons at a time, beating well after each addition.
5. Add vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form when beaters are slowly raised.
6. Turn into tube pan, spreading evenly. Place on middle rack of oven. Immediately, turn off heat. Let stand in oven several hours or overnight. Loosen edge with spatula. Turn out torte on serving plate. Sprinkle surface with rum. Refrigerate until well chilled. This will take at least 4 hours.
7. Frost top and sides with whipped cream. Decorate top with sliced strawberries and then garnish with pineapple.