Irish Soda Bread
|Corn meal||3 Tablespoon|
|All purpose flour||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs) (Unbleached, Plus Additional Flour For Sprinkling)|
|Whole wheat flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Rolled oats||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Wheat germ||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), toasted (Plus Additional Wheat Germ For Sprinkling)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Unsalted butter||3 Tablespoon (At Room Temperature)|
|Raisins||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Walnuts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), coarsely chopped|
|Plain non-fat yogurt||1 1⁄3 Cup (21.33 tbs)|
|Honey||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Orange rind||2 Teaspoon, grated|
1) Preheat the oven to 425Â°F.
2) Spray a heavy baking tray with corn meal. Keep aside.
3) In a large bowl, add both the flour, oats, wheat germ, sugar, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Mix well.
4) Cut in the butter to the flour mixture.
5) Now, add the raisins and walnuts.
6) In another medium bowl, combine the yogurt, honey, and orange rind, and mix well.
7) Add this mix into the flour mixture until the dry ingredients turn moist.
8) On a lightly floured work surface, turn the dough and knead for 1 to 2 minutes.
9) Shape into a ball.
10) On the baking tray, place the dough.
11) With a sharp knife, cut a 1/2 inch deep cross into the top of the dough.
12) On the top, spray additional flour and wheat germ.
13) Bake for 30 minutes.
14) Cool completely, slice and serve.