Irish Brown Soda Bread
|Whole wheat flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), sifted|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Margarine||1 Tablespoon (Soft)|
|Buttermilk||1 2⁄3 Cup (26.67 tbs)|
1) Preheat the oven to 425Â°F.
2) Into a large mixing bowl, add the whole wheat flour.
3) Sift together the all purpose flour, salt, baking soda and sugar, and then mix into the whole wheat flour.
4) Add the margarine to this.
5) Gradually add buttermilk until the dough is soft but not sticky.
6) Form the dough into a ball, and knead in the bowl for 15 to 20 seconds.
7) Place the dough on a lightly greased baking sheet.
8) Flatten the dough with your hand into a circle, about 1 1/2 inches thick. Cut a cross on the top to prevent cracking during baking.
9) Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350Â°F and bake for 15 minutes longer.
10) Cool on a wire rack. Then seal tightly in a plastic bag. Serve as required.