|Squabs||4 , cleaned|
|Baking soda||1 Tablespoon|
|Melted butter||1 Tablespoon|
|Trenchers||4 (Crusty Yeast-Raised Bread)|
|Minced parsley||1 Tablespoon|
1. Clean and cut squabs into halves, down the back.
2. Soak and wash thoroughly in water adding 1 tablespoon of baking soda
3. Pat dry on kitchen paper.
4. Arrange squabs on a broiler rack over a roasting pan to catch drippings.
5. Brush generously with melted butter.
6. Place 4 inches from source of heat and broil for 10 to 15 minutes nicely browned and tender.
7. Sprinkle salt, pepper and paprika then turn birds to cook on other side for another 10 to 15 minutes.
8. Reserve the drippings.
9. In the meantime, slit the Trenchers lengthwise, then cut into slices as long as the squabs.
10. Hollow out each slice to hold the squab.
11. Brush squabs and bread cases with melted butter
12. Toast in a hot oven until brown and crisp.
13. Drizzle drippings over the squabs
14. Garnish with minced parsley and serve hot.