Irish Soda Bread With Currants
|Sifted all purpose flour||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Baking soda||2 Teaspoon|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dried currants||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs), plumped|
|White vinegar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Grease a baking sheet with baking spray or butter.
2. Preheat the oven to 375°F before baking
3. Into a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Stir in the sugar.
4. Cut butter or margarine into small cubes and add to the flour mixture.
5. Using your finger tips, rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles cake crumbs.
6. Stir in the currants.
7. Combine the vinegar and milk and pour half of the liquid into the crumbed mixture, stirring quickly to wet the ingredients.
8. Add more liquid as required, enough to bind the mixture into a ball of dough.
9. Turn dough out onto a floured work surface and knead gently until soft
10. Shape it into a roll or log and place on baking sheet.
11. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes in a preheated oven until crust is golden.
12. Remove and let cool on a wire rack.
13. Slice and serve with tea or for breakfast.
Calories 448 Calories from Fat 85
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g14.9%
Saturated Fat 5.7 g28.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 23.9 mg8%
Sodium 959.3 mg40%
Total Carbohydrates 80 g26.6%
Dietary Fiber 3.1 g12.4%
Sugars 15.6 g
Protein 10 g20.8%
Vitamin A 5.6% Vitamin C 0.97%
Calcium 6.8% Iron 23.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet