Scandinavian Smoky Pea Soup
|Meaty smoked ham hock||12 Ounce (1 Piece)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Onions||2 Cup (32 tbs), chopped|
|Carrots||3 Small, peeled, finely chopped|
|Carrots||3 Small, peeled and finely chopped|
|Garlic||2 Tablespoon, minced|
|Yellow split peas||1 Pound, picked over and rinsed|
|Chicken broth||12 Cup (192 tbs), defatted (Homemade)|
|Ginger piece||1 Inch, peeled and lightly crushed|
|Allspice||1 Teaspoon, ground|
|Black pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon, coarsely ground|
|Coarse salt||To Taste|
|Dill||2 Tablespoon, chopped (For Garnish)|
1. In a medium-size saucepan, keep ham hock and add cold water to cover.
2. Bring the saucepan to a boil.
3. Simmer gently for 15 minutes.
4. Drain and rinse with cold water.
5. Pat dry.
6. In a heavy soup pot, heat oil over low heat.
7. Add onions and carrots.
8. Stir and cook for about 10 minutes until the onions are wilted.
9. Add garlic and cook another 1 minute.
10. Add ham hock, peas, chicken broth, ginger, dill and parsley sprigs, allspice, and pepper.
11. Heat once more and bring it to a boil.
12. Cover the pot partially for further cooking.
13. Simmer over low heat for 1 1/4 hours; stir constantly.
14. Spoon out the ham hock and keep aside for cooling.
15. Separate the meat from the bones and return it back into the soup.
16. Remove and discard ginger, dill and parsley sprigs from the soup.
17. Adjust seasonings to taste.
18. Garnish with the chopped dill.
19. Serve piping hot.