Chocolate Filled Meringues
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Granulated sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Unsweetened cocoa powder||2 Tablespoon|
|Semisweet chocolate||3 Ounce, chopped|
1) In a bowl,combine egg whites with cream of tartar and whisk the mixture till soft peaks appear.
2) Now slowly add sugar,2tbsp,say 25 ml at a time while vigorously stirring in to incorporate air and continiue until stiff glossy peaks form.
3)Preheat the oven to the desired temperature.
4) Take 1-1/2-inch (4 cm) mounds on parchment paper-lined or greased and floured baking sheets and with the help of a piping bag or spoon, pipe into them and sift cocoa over top using a sieve.
5) Bake in centre of 200°F (100°C) oven for 2 hours or until there is no moisture.
6) Turn off oven and allow to stand in oven for 1 hour or until cool.
7) In a bowl placed over saucepan of hot and not boiling water, melt chocolate, stirring at times.
8) Spread the chocolate over bottom of 1 meringue and sandwich it with bottom of second meringue.
9) Continue the process with remaining meringues. (Cookies can be stored in airtight container for up to 1 day or frozen for up to 4 weeks.)
10) Serve these lovely delicate meringue shells with creamy chocolate filling garnished with strawberry sauce,if desired.