Plum And Apple Meringue
|Red plums||1 Pound (450 Grams)|
|Eating apples||3 (Red Skinned)|
|Soft brown sugar||1 3⁄4 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Mixed spice||1⁄2 Teaspoon, ground|
|White wine||3 Fluid Ounce (75 Milliliter)|
|Caster sugar||3 Ounce (75 Gram)|
|Sugar||3 Ounce (75 Gram)|
1) Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C/Gas 5 temperature.
2) Cut the plums into half and stone them.
3) Cut apples into quarters, core and slice them.
4) In a pan, place the apples and plums with sugar, wine and spice.
5) Allow the mixture to come to a boil and then uncover and simmer for 5 minutes.
6) Leave aside to cool slightly and then spoon the fruit mixture into a 1 1/2 pt (800 ml) oval ovenproof pie dish.
7) For the meringue, take a bowl and beat egg whites in it until they reach a stiff peak stage.
8) Slowly beat in caster sugar and demerara sugar, saving 2 tbsp of demerara sugar.
9) Cover the meringue completely over the fruit filling.
10) Top with the remaining demerara sugar and bake for 5 minutes in preheated oven until the meringue is golden.
11) Serve at once.