Irish Roast Chicken
|Oatmeal||100 Gram (4 ounce)|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Bacon||175 Gram, chopped (6 Ounce)|
|Onions||2 , sliced|
|Carrots||4 , sliced|
|Chicken stock||600 Milliliter (20 Fluid Ounce)|
1. Preheat the oven to 180C, 250F, Gas Mark 4. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the oatmeal, chopped onion, butter, salt, pepper and about 4 tablespoons of the stock. Use this mixture to stuff the chicken and secure the opening with a needle and thread or trussing skewers.
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the bacon and fry until it just changes colour. Transfer to a deep ovenproof casserole.
3. Reheat the oil and brown the chicken on all sides. Place on top of the bacon in the casserole.
4. Reheat the oil again, adding a little extra if necessary, add the sliced onion and carrots carrots, and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring from time to time. Remove with a slotted spoon and place around the chicken in the casserole.
5. Pour the remaining stock over the chicken, cover and roast for about 1 ½ hours. Serve hot.
Calories 1152 Calories from Fat 595
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 68 g104.6%
Saturated Fat 22.6 g113%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 294.1 mg98%
Sodium 822.2 mg34.3%
Total Carbohydrates 43 g14.3%
Dietary Fiber 5.9 g23.4%
Sugars 11.5 g
Protein 88 g176.8%
Vitamin A 215.1% Vitamin C 24.6%
Calcium 34.9% Iron 94.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet