Hot Russian Borscht
|Beef short ribs||2 1⁄2 Pound|
|Onion||1 , peel left on and halved|
|Celery ribs||2 , halved|
|Carrot||1 , quartered|
|Parsnip||1 , quartered|
|Fresh dill sprigs||4|
|Homemade beef broth/Homemade beef stock||4 Cup (64 tbs), defatted, concentrated|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Raw beets||1 1⁄4 Pound (With Stems)|
|Sweet potatoes||1 Pound, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (2 Potatoes)|
|Cabbage||4 Cup (64 tbs), thinly slivered|
|Fresh lemon juice||6 Tablespoon|
|Caraway seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||To Taste, freshly ground|
|Dill leaves and stems||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped (Fresh)|
|Flat-leaf parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Garlic||1 Teaspoon, minced|
|Sour cream||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For Garnish)|
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
2. Rinse beets well
3. Chop of 1 inch stem.
4. Wrap each beet individually in aluminum foil sheet.
5. Bake the wrapped beet on oven for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until tender depending on size.
6. Slip the skins off the beets and coarsely grate.
7. Keep aside.
8. In a large soup pot, put together beef, onion, celery, carrot, parsnip, and dill sprigs.
9. Pour the broth.
10. Add water.
11. Heat to just boil.
12. Cover the dish.
13. Simmer over reduced heat for about 1 1/2 hours until the beef is very tender.
14. Skim off any foam accumulated at the top.
15. Spoon out the short ribs and keep aside for cooling.
16. Pour broth through metal strainer.
17. Cool slightly to allow the fat rise to the surface.
18. Separate meat from the bones.
19. Discard bones and fat.
20. Keep the meat aside.
21. In a clean soup pot, pour the skimmed broth.
22. Add sweet potatoes to the broth.
23. Cover the pot partially.
24. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
25. Add the cabbage.
26. Cover the pot partially.
27. Cook for 5 minutes.
28. Simmer over reduced heat.
29. Add shredded meat, beets, lemon juice to taste, caraway seeds, salt, and pepper.
30. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
31. Stir in the dill, parsley, and garlic and simmer for 1 minute just before serving.
32. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream.
33. Serve piping hot.