A Chocolate Chestnut Cream In A Nest Of Meringue
|Chestnut puree||2 Pound (900 Gram)|
|Butter||4 Ounce (100 Gram)|
|Bitter chocolate||4 Ounce, melted (100 Gram)|
|Dark rum||4 Fluid Ounce (120 Milliliter)|
|Double cream||4 Fluid Ounce (120 Milliliter)|
|Golden granulated sugar||3⁄4 Pound|
1. In a large saucepan, tip in the chestnut puree
2. Add the butter and heat gently till smooth and creamy
3. Add the melted chocolate and rum
4. Mix well and then set the mixture aside to cool
5. Whisk cream till thick
6. When the mixture is cool, add the cream to the chestnut puree and mix well
7. Set the mixture aside to cool
8. Grease a baking tray and line with greaseproof paper or silicone paper
9. Preheat a very low oven at 250°F/130°C (Gas Mark 1/2)
10. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites till firm and soft
11. In a grinder, powder half the sugar and mix it with the whole sugar
12. Add this partially ground sugar to the beaten egg whites one teaspoon at a time.
13. Beat well after adding the sugar
14. When all the sugar has been added and the egg whites hold firm peaks, spoon into a piping bag with a wide star nozzle.
15. Mark a circle of 8 inches (20 cm) in diameter on the greaseproof paper of the baking tray
16. Starting from the centre of the circle, pipe the meringue round in a spiral to the edge. Ensure that the edge of the border is slightly higher by piping a border, two thicknesses high, round the edge to make a 'nest!
17. Place the baking tray in a very low oven, 250°F/130°C (Gas Mark 1/2)
18. Allow to dry rather than cook for at least 2 to 3 hours.
19. Transfer the dry meringue shell onto a serving plate or pretty cake board.
20. Fill a piping bag, fitted with a plain tube 3mm in diameter, with the chestnut cream
21. Pipe the chestnut filling into the shell to resemble swirls of spaghetti.
22. Serve immediately
Using an electric beater will get a much smoother egg mixture
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4448 Calories from Fat 1661
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 187 g287.3%
Saturated Fat 79.2 g396.2%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 252.9 mg84.3%
Sodium 329.7 mg13.7%
Total Carbohydrates 595 g198.3%
Dietary Fiber 38.2 g152.7%
Sugars 395.5 g
Protein 57 g115%
Vitamin A 57.8% Vitamin C
Calcium 10.6% Iron 51.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet