Scandinavian Beans Beans
|Dried pinto beans||1 Pound|
|Water||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Bacon/1 ham hock||12 Ounce|
|Onion||1 , chopped|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), minced|
|Molasses||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Ketchup||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Worcestershire sauce||1 Teaspoon|
|Brown sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Cider vinegar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dry mustard||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
1) In a soup pot, soak the beans in water for a minimum of 8 hours.
2) Bring the soaked beans to a boil and gently cook for 1 ½ to 2 hours, till they are tender. Drain the beans and keep the liquid aside.
3) In a slow cooker, combine together all the ingredients with just enough bean liquid to cover the contents.
4) Cook over low heat for 5 to 6 hours.
5) In case ham hock is being used, remove all the bones from the ham and cut it into bite-sized pieces. Mix into the beans.
6) Serve hot.