|Lean lamb shoulder/Neck of lamb / both||2 Pound (With Bones)|
|Medium pearl barley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Carrots||2 , peeled and coarsely chopped|
|Onions||2 Medium, thinly sliced|
|Leeks||2 , white and 2 inches of the green, rinsed and coarsely chopped|
|Celery ribs||2 , coarsely chopped|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
1. In a large heavy skillet, preferably cast-iron or a stockpot, combine all the ingredients except the seasonings and parsley.
2. Place on a medium high flame and heat to boiling point.
3. Frequently remove the scum them surfaces when boiling.
4. Once it reaches a rapid boil, reduce the heat, cover the pot and let simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
5. Once the lamb is tender, with a slotted spoon remove it to a platter and when cool enough to handle, shed the meat off the bones into small chunks. Discard the bones
6. Return lamb chunks to the soup.
7. Season the soup with salt and pepper according to preference.
8. Ladle the hot soup with barley and lamb into warm deep dish soup plates.
9. Garnish the soup with chopped parsley if you like.
10. Serve the soup with crusty bread