Braised Swiss Steak
|Round steak||2 Pound (1-1/2 Inches Thick)|
|Onions||2 Medium, cut into lengths|
|Stewed tomatoes||1 Pound|
1) With damp paper towels, clean and wipe the steak.
2) Arrange all the other ingredients.
3) Mix together flour, salt, and pepper.
4) Over onse side of steal, sprinkle half of the flour mixture.
5) Using wooden mallet or rim of saucer, pound the mixture well into meat.
6) Repeat on other side.
7) In Dutch oven or large skillet, heat the oil and brown steak well on both sides—15 to 20 minutes in all.
8) Brown onion along with steak last 5 minutes.
9) Add stewed tomatoes and bay leaf; boil the liquid.
10) Lower the heat, and simmer, covered, 2 hours, or until meat is tender.
11) In a heated serving platter, transfer the steak.
12) Remove bay leaf and discard.
13) Pour some sauce over steak, and serve the rest on side.