Lentil Soup & Garlic Parmesan Popovers: Easy Entertaining
|For the lentil soup|
|Bacon||3 , slices, cut into 1/4-inch pieces|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Carrots||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), grated or chopped|
|Garlic cloves||3 Medium, minced or pressed through a garlic press|
|Diced tomatoes||14 1⁄2 Ounce (One 14 1/2 oz Can with juice)|
|Bay leaf||1 Medium|
|Fresh thyme leaves||1 Teaspoon|
|Lentils||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Dry white wine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Low sodium chicken broth/Vegetable broth||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|For the garlic parmesan popovers|
|Milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||14 Tablespoon (One Cup minus 2 Tbsp)|
|Garlic clove||1 Large|
|Freshly grated parmesan cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (As needed)|
To Prepare the Lentil Soup:
1. Take 3 slices of bacon and cut them into 1.4-inch pieces. Set aside.
2. Chop onion and carrots and set them aside as well.
3. In a soup pot, fry the bacon pieces over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until bacon is crisp, for about 3 to 4 minutes.
4. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 2 minutes until vegetables begin to soften.
5. Add grated (or chopped) carrots, stir and let it cook for a couple of minutes until the carrots and onions soften.
6. Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
7. Add fresh thyme and bay leaves into the soup pot. Give it a little stir and let it cook for another minute or so.
8. Stir in the can of diced tomatoes with the juice.
9. Stir in lentils, salt, and pepper to taste, cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook the vegetables and lentils for about 8 to 10 minutes.
10. Increase heat to high, add wine and chicken broth, bring to boil, then cover partially, and reduce heat to low. Simmer until lentils are tender, about 30 to 35 minutes.
11. Serve hot.
To Prepare the Popovers:
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Generously spray six popover cups with cooking spray.
3. In a bowl (or large 4 cup measuring cup) whisk together 2 eggs, milk, and water.
4. Add flour and whisk mixture until combined well, but still slightly lumpy. Set this aside.
5. Mince garlic and mash with salt. Whisk garlic paste into the popover batter and mix everything together.
6. Pour a little bit of batter into each of the popover cup tins.
7. Sprinkle some Parmesan over batter in the tins and then top with remaining batter.
8. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
9. After 20 minutes, reduce heat to 325 F for 15 minutes more.
10. Serve warm with the lentil soup.
Calories 437 Calories from Fat 74
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g12.9%
Saturated Fat 3.6 g17.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 83.3 mg27.8%
Sodium 797.9 mg33.2%
Total Carbohydrates 63 g21.1%
Dietary Fiber 13.6 g54.2%
Sugars 8.5 g
Protein 26 g51.2%
Vitamin A 122.7% Vitamin C 30%
Calcium 23% Iron 31.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet