|Salt||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Hard-shell crabs||16 (live)|
1. Place crabs in colander and wash with cold water till its clean.
2. In large kettle, bring 4 quarts water and the salt to boiling.
3. Holding crabs by tongs or back feelers, plunge head first into boiling water; return water to boiling. Reduce heat, and simmer, covered, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain; let cool.
4. Crack the shell, remove the meat, and twist off claws and legs; crack them with nutcracker or hammer; remove meat. Lay crab on top shell.
5. Insert point of a knife under forward end of the flap that folds under body from rear; break it off, and discard. Pick up crab in both hands; pull upper and lower shells apart.
6. Discard top shell. Hold crab under running water; remove gills and all spongy material.
7. Cut away any hard membrane along outer edge; carefully remove meat with fork..
8. Mix the meat with sauce or serve as-is
Calories 626 Calories from Fat 70
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g12%
Saturated Fat 1.6 g8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 561.5 mg187.2%
Sodium 6760.4 mg281.7%
Total Carbohydrates 0.29 g0.1%
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 130 g260.1%
Vitamin A 0.7% Vitamin C 36%
Calcium 64.4% Iron 29.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet