Fried Cornmeal Mush
|Yellow cornmeal||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Butter/Regular margarine||3 Tablespoon|
1) In a bowl, mix 1 cup cornmeal and the salt.
2) Mix in 1 cup of cold water.
3) In a saucepan, bring 3 cups water to boil and slowly add in cornmeal mixture.
4) Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thick.
5) Put the lid on and cook, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes.
6) Transfer into 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan and place waxed paper directly on surface.
7) Put the pan in refrigerator until well chilled for at least 4 hours.
8) Invert the pan to remove the cornmeal and cut into 16 slices.
9) Coat the cornmeal slices in remaining cornmeal, coating each side.
10) In a skillet, heat butter or margarine and fry until golden-brown and crisp for about 4 minutes per side.
11) Serve the Fried Cornmeal Mush hot with desired dip.
Calories 175 Calories from Fat 64
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g11.1%
Saturated Fat 3.9 g19.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 16.1 mg5.4%
Sodium 334.8 mg14%
Total Carbohydrates 25 g8.5%
Dietary Fiber 2.2 g8.8%
Sugars 0 g
Protein 2 g4.5%
Vitamin A 3.7% Vitamin C
Calcium 0.2% Iron 6.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet