Hearty Irish Beef Soup
|Baby lima beans||8 Ounce, dried|
|Dried baby lima beans||8 Ounce|
|Beef marrow bones with meat||3 Pound, cut 1 inch thick|
|Beef bone marrow with meat||3 Pound, cut 1 inch thick|
|Coarse salt||1 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon, coarsely ground|
|Black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Coarsely chopped onions||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Onions||2 Cup (32 tbs), coarsely chopped|
|Garlic||5 Clove (25 gm), thinly sliced|
|Garlic||5 Clove (25 gm), thinly slivered|
|Leeks||2 , trimmed, rinsed well, and coarsely chopped|
|Leeks||2 , trimmed, rinsed well and coarsely chopped|
|Celery||2 Cup (32 tbs), coarsely chopped|
|Coarsely chopped celery||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Parsnips||2 Small, peeled and coarsely chopped|
|Coarsely chopped carrots||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Carrots||2 Cup (32 tbs), coarsely chopped|
|Canned plum tomatoes||28 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Plum tomatoes||28 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Fresh thyme sprigs||8|
|Fresh thyme sprig||8|
|Cubed cabbage||4 Cup (64 tbs), cut into 1-inch pieces|
|Cabbage||4 Cup (64 tbs), cut into 1 inch pieces|
|Green beans||8 Ounce, cut into 1/2-inch pieces|
|Green beans||8 Ounce, cut into 1/2 inch pieces|
|Flat-leaf parsley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), coarsely chopped|
|Coarsely chopped flat leaf parsley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. In a bowl, soak lima beans overnight.
2. Clean beef bones with cold water.
3. In a large soup pot, place beef bones and add water.
4. Bring it to a boil.
5. Skim off any foam that rises to the top.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Partially cover the pot.
8. Simmer on low heat for 1 hour.
9. Add drained lima beans to the pot.
10. Add onion, garlic, leeks, celery, parsnips, carrots, tomatoes, thyme, and bay leaf.
11. Simmer partially covered for 2 hours.
12. Add the cabbage and green beans.
13. Uncover and simmer for another 45 minutes.
14. Spoon out the meat bones from the pot.
15. Separate the meat from the bones and discard bones.
16. Return the meat back to the pot.
17. Add parsley.
18. Simmer uncovered for another 5 minutes.
19. Serve hot in bowls.