Lemon Meringue Pie
|Boiling water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Grated lemon peel||1 Tablespoon|
|Egg yolks||3 , slightly beaten|
|Baked 9 inch pastry shell||1|
|Lemon juice||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1) Preheat the oven to 450°F.
2) In a 4-cup glass measure, add the butter, water, 1 1/2 cups sugar and salt, cook in the microwave for 3 to 4 minutes, stir in between until the sugar is dissolved.
3) In a bowl, blend the cornstarch in 3 tablespoons water, stir into the sugar mixture and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stir after each minute.
4) Stir in the lemon peel and 1/3 cup lemon juice, mix well.
5) Gradually stir in the egg yolks and cook the mixture for 3 to 4 minutes, stir after each minute.
6) In a pie shell, cool and pour the egg mixture.
7) Stiffly beat the egg whites with an electric mixer, beat further gradually adding 6 tablespoons sugar, until rounded peaks are formed.
8) Beat in 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, evenly spread the meringue over the cooked filling and seal the edges of pie shell.
9) Bake in the preheated conventional oven at 450°F for 5 to 6 minutes or until lightly browned.
10) Slice and serve in individual serving plates.
Calories 202 Calories from Fat 73
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g12.8%
Saturated Fat 3.8 g19%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 77.5 mg25.8%
Sodium 149.4 mg6.2%
Total Carbohydrates 29 g9.5%
Dietary Fiber 0.3 g1.2%
Sugars 12 g
Protein 3 g5.4%
Vitamin A 3.5% Vitamin C 4.3%
Calcium 6.7% Iron 1.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet