|Honey||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Lemon peel||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon, grated|
|Brandy/Rum or kirsch||2 Tablespoon|
|Unsifted all purpose flour||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Baking soda||2 Teaspoon|
|Ground anise||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground ginger||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground coriander||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Whole blanched almonds||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Apricot jam||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Honey||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Lemon peel||1 Tablespoon, grated|
|Lemon juice||3 Tablespoon|
|Almond extract||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
1) Make Dough: In small saucepan, combine 1 cup honey, 2/3 cup sugar, and 2 tablespoons water.
2) Heat, stirring, just until sugar dissolves, but do not boil.
3) Let cool until lukewarm, about 20 minutes.
4) Add 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon peel and the brandy, stir well.
5) Into large bowl, sift flour with baking soda, anise, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and coriander.
6) Add honey mixture; using a wooden spoon, mix to form a stiff dough; then knead until smooth.
7) Shape into a ball.
8) Cover and refrigerate for 2 days.
9) Make Filling: Using fine blade of grinder, or use electric blender to grind the almonds.
9) In medium bowl, combine almonds, 1 cup sugar, the jam, honey, lemon peel, juice, extract; mix until blended.
10) Set aside.
11) Preheat oven to 350F.
12) Lightly grease cookie sheets.
13) Divide dough in half; return half to refrigerator.
14) On lightly floured surface, roll out dough, 1/4 inch thick, into a 10-inch square.
15) Cut crosswise, to make 4 strips.
16) Place 5 to 6 tablespoons filling in a 1/2-inch-wide mound down center of each strip of dough.
17) Bring edges of dough over filling, to overlap; press gently, to seal.
18) Place rolls seam side down.
19) Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
20) Using sharp floured or moistened knife, cut filled rolls into 1-inch pieces,
21) On prepared cookie sheets, place seam side down.
22) Bake 20 minutes, or until light brown.
23) Meanwhile, make Glaze: In small saucepan, combine sugar with 1/2 cup water.
24) Let the water and sugar boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
25) Boil 5 to 7 minutes, until it forms 2-inch thread when dropped from spoon, or to 230F on candy thermometer.
26) Remove hot cookies to wire rack, and brush with glaze.
27) Let them cool completely.
28) Pack in airtight containers, to mellow for several weeks.
29) Serve as dessert along with whipped cream and fresh or glazed fruits.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 8346 Calories from Fat 1960
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 211 g324%
Saturated Fat 14.5 g72.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 2769.3 mg115.4%
Total Carbohydrates 1544 g514.7%
Dietary Fiber 60.2 g240.9%
Sugars 1075.3 g
Protein 150 g299.9%
Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 90.3%
Calcium 129.1% Iron 228.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet