Arroz con Cerdo
|Boneless lean pork shoulder||2 Pound, cubed|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped to make 1 cup|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Regular rice||2 Cup (32 tbs), uncooked|
|Uncooked regular rice||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Instant chicken broth/5 chicken-bouillon cubes||5 Ounce (5 Envelopes)|
|Crushed saffron||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Water||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Fresh peas/1 package, 10 ounces frozen peas||1 Pound, shelled, cooked, drained and buttered (1 Cup)|
|Fresh peas/1 package of 10 ounces frozen peas, cooked, drained, and buttered||1 Pound, shelled, cooked, drained and buttered to make 1 cup|
|Chopped peanuts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Pimiento||1 , diced|
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2) In a large frying pan, saute the bacon until just crisp.
3) Roll each warm slice around a fork to make bacon curls, drain on paper towel and keep aside.
4) In a cup, pour the pan drippings and reserve.
5) In the same frying pan, gently brown the pork in batches slowly, remove and keep aside.
6) Add 2 tablespoons reserved bacon drippings into the pan, saute the onion and garlic, until soft then move towards an edge.
7) Stir in the rice, stir continuously and saute, until golden.
8) Stir in the instant chicken broth or crushed bouillon cubes, saffron and water, allow to boil.
9) In a 12-cup baking dish, pour the mixture, top with the browned pork.
10) Bake covered in the preheated oven for 1 hour or until the rice is tender and almost dry.
11) Arrange the bacon curls in a ring, surround with the cooked peas and garnish with the peanuts and pimento.
12) Serve immediately on individual serving plates.
Calories 457 Calories from Fat 53
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g9.1%
Saturated Fat 1.3 g6.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 46.5 mg15.5%
Sodium 246.9 mg10.3%
Total Carbohydrates 72 g24%
Dietary Fiber 5.8 g23.1%
Sugars 7.3 g
Protein 28 g55.2%
Vitamin A 17.7% Vitamin C 61.7%
Calcium 8.8% Iron 16.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet