|Jerusalem artichokes||2 Pound|
|Yellow onions||4 Medium|
|Red peppers||3 Medium|
|Salt||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cider vinegar||1 Quart|
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Mustard seed||1 Tablespoon|
|Celery seed||1 Tablespoon|
1. To prepare artichokes scrub them well with a stiff brush and then pare and chop coarsely.
2. Coarsely chop onions and peppers.
3. In a large bowl mix well combining chopped vegetables, salt and 2 quarts cold water.
4. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
5. Next day, sterilize two 1-quart jars and leave in hot water until ready to fill.
6. Drain chilled vegetables and place in large kettle.
7. Add vinegar, sugar, mustard seed and celery seed and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until sugar is dissolved and mixture boils.
8. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until relish is thick for about 30 minutes.
9. Completing one quart at a time, immediately ladle into sterilized jars to within 1/2 inch of top.
10. Cap at once as manufacturer directs.
11. Use as a side, with other dishes or as desired.