1. Place all the ingredients except vanilla in a medium-heavy saucepan.
2. Gently warm until sugar dissolves.
3. Bring to gentle boil and cook for about 15-20 minutes.
4. Test using a thermometer needs to reach 120C (248F). If you don't have a thermometer dribble a little into cold water and it should set to a medium soft ball texture.
5. Add vanilla (use the real stuff it makes a big difference).
6. Beat until thick and has lost gloss. We use an electric beater it saves time.
7. Pour fudge into a greased baking paper lined tray. We use spray oil.
8. Mark into portions and decorate. We use cupcake sprinkles.
9. Allow to set in fridge for 1-2 hours.
10. Cut using a sharp knife.