Scandinavian Sailors' Beef Casserole
|Boneless beef round steak||2 Pound, cut 1/2 inch thick|
|Onions||3 Medium, sliced|
|Margarine/Oil / butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Potatoes||6 Medium, pared and thickly sliced|
|Beer||12 Ounce (1 Can / Bottle)|
|Minced parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Place beef steak on a meat board and use a meat knife to slice it into 6 equal portions
2. Sprinkle flour on both sides of the steaks then use a meat hammer or flat base pan to flatten the steaks into 1/4inch thick slices.
3. Preheat the oven to 350°F
4. In a large skillet, heat the fat
5. Add the onions and sauté them until lightly browned. Remove them to a plate using a slotted spoon.
6. In the remaining fat, sear the steaks until evenly browned on both sides and season with salt and pepper.
7. In a large casserole or Dutch oven, arrange the steaks in a single layer.
8. Layer the potatoes, seasoning with salt and pepper on top.
9. Spoon the onions over the potato layer.
10. Deglaze the skillet with beer then tip over the vegetable and meat in the casserole.
11. Cover the casserole with its lid and transfer it to the preheated oven
12. Braise the meat for 1 ½ hours until it is fork tender.
13. Serve the meat and vegetables straight from the casserole garnished with chopped fresh parsley.
14. Accompany the meat with pickled beets if you like.
Calories 513 Calories from Fat 143
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g24.6%
Saturated Fat 4.4 g22.1%
Trans Fat 0.3 g
Cholesterol 92.2 mg30.7%
Sodium 439.5 mg18.3%
Total Carbohydrates 51 g17%
Dietary Fiber 5.9 g23.6%
Sugars 5.8 g
Protein 39 g77.2%
Vitamin A 10.8% Vitamin C 75.1%
Calcium 6% Iron 33.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet