Danish Appetizer Meat Balls
|Ground beef||3⁄4 Pound|
|Ground pork||1⁄4 Pound|
|Onion||1 Small, grated|
|Fine dry bread crumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Leaf marjoram||1⁄8 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vegetable shortening||3 Tablespoon|
|Condensed beef consomme||10 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Fresh dill sprig||1 (To Garnish)|
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine first ten ingredients.
2. Using your hand or a fork, lightly but thoroughly mix the ingredients.
3. Shape into 48 walnut size balls, about 1tablespoon each.
4. In a large frying pan or skillet, heat the shortening.
5. Place 10 to 12 meatballs at a time and sauté until evenly browned on all sides.
6. Using a slotted spoon, remove and drain on paper towel line plate.
7. Repeat frying remaining meatballs.
8. Drain off fat from the pan then deglaze the pan with the consommé, stirring to scrape up the browned bits.
9. Return the meatballs to the simmering liquid.
10. Cover the pan and simmer the meatballs for 15 minutes until cooked.
11. Remove meat balls with a slotted spoon into a chafing dish or heated serving bowl
12. Pour cooking juices over them. And garnish with a frond of fresh dill, if you wish.
13. Serve with cocktail forks.