Dutch Apple Cake
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Shortening||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Warm water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cake yeast/Active dry or compressed yeast||1 Tablespoon|
|All purpose flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs), sifted|
|Butter/Margarine||2 Tablespoon, melted|
1) Peel and core apples.
2) Slice in very thin slices.
3) In a saucepan, scald milk, add sugar, salt and shortening.
4) Cool to lukewarm.
5) In a large mixing bowl, add water and yeast.
6) Dissolve yeast and add lukewarm milk mixture.
7) Add egg and beat.
8) Mix in cinnamon and flour to make soft dough.
9) Knead the dough on a lightly floured board until smooth and elastic.
10) Take an oiled bowl and put the dough in it.
11) Cover the bowl and let dough rise to double.
12) Punch down and then knead a bit and divide dough in half.
13) Pat into 2 oiled 8-inch layer pans.
14) Place the apple slices in rows on top of dough.
15) Brush with butter and sprinkle combined sugar and nutmeg.
16) Let it rise for 15 minutes.
17) Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
18) Let the Dutch apple cake cool, then slice and serve.