Game Soup With Port Wine
|Venison/2-pound game bird||1 Pound|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
|Flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Port/Burgundy||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Croutons||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For Garnish)|
1) Into 2-3 inch chunks, cut the venison. Trim off any gristle.
2) In case a game bird is being used, chop it, through the bone, into small pieces. Clean properly.
3) Peel the onion, parsnip and carrot and coarsely chop them.
4) Rinse the leek and celery properly under cold running water. Chop coarsely.
5) In a large pan placed over medium heat, melt half of the butter, Saute the meat in the butter, frequently turning it, till it starts to color.
6) Add the leek, onion and celery to the pan. Cook till evenly browned.
7) Put the carrot, parsnip and bay leaf into the pan, along with a pinch of thyme, marjoram and basil.
8) Season with crushed garlic, salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
9) Pour in just enough water to cover the pan’s contents, about 8 cups, and over high heat, bring the mixture to a boil. Take out and discard any scum the rises to the surface. Add the sliced mushrooms.
10) With a lid, cover the pan and gently cook over low heat for about 2 hours or till the meat has tendered perfectly.
11) Through a fine sieve, strain the stock and allow it to slightly cool.
12) Take out the bay leaf as well as all the bones. Put the meat and vegetables in a blender along with some of the soup to make a thick puree.
13) In a large pan placed over medium heat, melt the remainder of the butter. Blend in the flour and cook, continuously stirring, till the roux has turned caramel colored.
12) Remove the pan from the heat and blend in the port and about 1 ¼ cups of stock very gradually.
13) Put the pan back on the heat and bring to simmering point, stirring constantly. Blend in the vegetable and meat puree and about 4 cups of stock to make a thick soup.
14) Heat the soup properly over low heat for about 15 minutes. If required, adjust the seasoning.
15) Serve the soup hot after putting in individual bowls and garnishing with small bread croutons.
Calories 600 Calories from Fat 242
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 27 g42.2%
Saturated Fat 15.6 g77.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 81.4 mg27.1%
Sodium 205.8 mg8.6%
Total Carbohydrates 54 g18.1%
Dietary Fiber 6.4 g25.7%
Sugars 8.6 g
Protein 33 g65.9%
Vitamin A 84.3% Vitamin C 33.5%
Calcium 11.3% Iron 40.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet