Country Style Fricassee
|Broiler fryers||6 Pound (3 Whole 2 Pounds Each, Use Drumsticks, Thighs, Wing Tips And Back Pieces)|
|Onion||1 Large, peeled and sliced|
|Diced celery and leaves||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (For Gravy)|
|Sifted all purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dumplings||1 Pound (1 Packet)|
1. In a kettle or Dutch oven, place chicken pieces, onion, celery and leaves, salt, pepper, and 2 cups water. Cover and heat till boiling. Allow to simmer for 1 hour until meat is tender.
2. Once the chicken is down. Drain from the broth using a colander. Save the broth.
3. Once the chicken is cooled remove the bones and skin(optional)
4. Add water to the reserved broth to make it 4 cups. Bring the broth back to boil in the Dutch oven. (When straining vegetables be careful to press it down to drain all the juices into the broh.)
5. In a small bowl, add ½ cup of cold water and flour .Stir well. To make a paste. Add the paste to the hot broth. Cook constantly until the gravy is thick. Set aside
6. Bring the chicken back to low heat allowing it to boil again slightly.
7. Drop batter into 6 mounds on top of chicken. Cook, covered, 20 minutes. (No peeking, or they won't steam puffy-light.)
8. Sprinkly paprika on dumplings once done. Add a parsley for garnish.
9. Serve the dumplings on a heated serving platter with the reserved gravy on the side.