Make Ahead Mince Pies
|Shortcrust pastry||500 Gram|
|Plain flour||1 Tablespoon (For Dusting)|
|Mincemeat||9 Ounce (250 Gram)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Granulated sugar||1 Tablespoon (For Sprinkling)|
1. Preheat the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7.
2. On a lightly floured board, roll out the pastry till it is thinner than 5mms.
3. Using a readymade stamp or cookie cutter, stamp out 12 circles that are about 8cm in diameter. Set the trimmings aside for later use.
4. Line a 12-hole, non stick bun tin with the 12 pastry circles
5. In to each circle, put a spoonful of the mince meat mixture until all are filled in.
6. Collect the trimmings and re-roll them again to form a sheet of pastry.
7. Cut out an additional 12 circles of pastry that should be a little smaller than the first set.
8. Brush the edges of the pastry with the beaten egg, and add the 12 smaller pastry lids to the filled mincemeat filled circles to form small pies.
9. Seal the edges completely
10. Make a small cross on the pastry lids
11. Brush the lids with an egg wash and sprinkle on sugar
12. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until done
13. Serve warm
-Do not overfill the pastry circles or the suet in the mix will melt and bubble out as there will be no space for it to flow during cooking.
- These pies can be frozen for 3 months before and defrosted and cooked just before serving.